Monday, September 11, 2006

Kenzie's aliens

Last week, on the way to school, Kenzie started telling me about the aliens who visit her in her bedroom at night. They have square heads and a "thing" pointing out at the top. They have long conversations about tiny little monsters that don't exist. The aliens like to pray with her. This is how they pray:
They fold their hands together backwards, and say, "Dear God, please give us a new world. Our world is way too small. We need more room, so please give us a new world."
I asked about this, and she explained that the aliens live on Pluto, and now Pluto is so small it's not even a planet.
I asked her, "If they can come to earth to talk to you, why don't they just go live on another planet, like Mars."
"Oh, mom. Those aliens are way too mean!"

That night, as I was putting her to bed, she pointed at her wall and said, "See, there are the aliens."
On her wall are two pages from a coloring book, tacked up with push pins. Her lamp is on a table below these pages. The shadow cast upward from the pages and the push pins looks like two rectangular heads with a "thing" pointing out. She smiled. I smiled. The aliens smiled.

I have a job interview today to expand my freelance proofreading/editing business. Pray for me.

1 comment:

Siarlys Jenkins said...

You're doing freelance proofreading and editing? Odd, I'm trying to get back into freelance indexing and photo research. I don't know much in the way of local sources. I decided to hang out a colorful page at www.blackheath1381.com and see if anyone finds it. I can't find a way to send blind emails without making them into posts. I wouldn't mind getting direct email -- not to give the cyber robots anything to work with, if you put the initial of my last name in front of my first name, followed by @juno.com it will get to me. By the way, whatever your husband has faith in, I expect he is covered by Matthew 25: 31 - end of chapter.