Thursday, July 20, 2006

Crushes Already???

My 4-yr-old daughter just walked in here and told me that she has a crush on all the boys in her Vacation Bible School class.
I asked her what it means to have a crush, and she said, "It means that I think they're really coooool!" To clarify, I asked if she has a crush on all the boys she knows since they are cool & fun to play with. I knew that she had just heard the word from her older sister & probably just thought it was a word for having a friend.
"No, Mom! That's silly," she said, causing some concern.
"Then, what is a crush?" I asked.
"Well...see, if a little girl like me has a crush, it means that she thinks a boy is really cool and likes to play with him. But if a teenager or an almost-grownup, or someone on TV has a crush, it means that they want to go out on a DATE. But it would be silly for a little girl like me, because we're too little to date. So we just have crushes on boys if we like to look at them." (What? Look at them?!?)
Then she continued, "Last night when we were playing games, every time we were holding hands or hugging, if they weren't looking at me, I would look at them like this..." She then proceeded to bat her eyelashes and pucker her lips. I took a breath and explained to her that the boys might not like for her to do that.
"But mom, sometimes I like to do that. Especially to the boy in the Orange shirt. What's his name?"
"Caleb?"
"Yeah, Caleb. And the boy in the blue shirt. What's his name?"
"Nicholas?"
"Yeah, Nicholas. They're sooo cool. But they aren't my friends 'cause they don't talk to me."
"Well, honey, I think they're both just a little shy. And I think that you need to stop blinking and puckering at them and ask them to play with you. You can just ask if they want to build something out of Legos, or you can pretend to fix them some food in the play kitchen. But try to make friends with them, okay? That's what Jesus would like."
"Okay."

Oh. No! She's FOUR! Think I need to start limiting the television a little more?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So we just have crushes on boys if we like to look at them."

That is so cute.

I've been reading your essays and I would say that you don't need to limit the TV.

You seem to know exactly how to handle anything that will come your way.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had to deal with this one before me. just kidding! I am still sitting holding my breathe. You're kidding me right? This was all a huge joke to see if I actually read your blog? Please say your kidding me now!

No need to limit or sensor tv, I think you did the right thing also. Talking is the best thing you can do for your children.

But I know one hubby who is going to be happy your hubby is going through this before him. Or better yet we could have them go on a daddy/daughter day with the mission of grossing our daughters out so much that boys won't even be a thought until much much later, on 2nd thought I know our daughters and they would just come home with more of their fathers bad habits.

Just remember keep talking to them and listening to what they say. You are a great mom! The 2 of you are great parents. I just think this is a passing phase and tomorrow or next week boys will be gross again.